In 1936 Skowhegan History House was founded as a private historic house and museum by Louise Helen Coburn, a niece of former Governor Abner Coburn. Its purpose was to accumulate, preserve, and display documents and artifacts related to Skowhegan’s history.
The property is located along the historic eastern shore of the Kennebec River on Elm Street among neighboring homes of the same period.
To this day, the History House represents the legacy of a historic community for everyone’s benefit and appreciation.
The House serves as a museum and historical research center, operating under the mantra of, "Preserving an increasingly valuable historic collection representing Skowhegan’s legacy, and promoting Skowhegan’s cultural heritage."
Selected Skowhegan History House images:
- Heywood Tavern, Skowhegan, ca. 1836
- Abby Tilton, Skowhegan, ca. 1907
- South Channel Dam bulkhead, Skowhegan, 1901
- Russell Street, looking east, Skowhegan, ca. 1900
- South Side of Water Street, Sanford, ca. 1870
- Heselton House Stables, about 1898
- Madison Avenue, Skowhegan, ca. 1868
- Dr. Greenleaf Wilber home, Skowhegan
- Jail House at Norridgewock, about 1865
- South Side of River, Skowhegan, ca. 1870
- Island Avenue, Skowhegan, ca. 1870
- Louise H. Coburn, Skowhegan, ca. 1880