In partnership with the Maine Memory Network Maine Memory Network

Skowhegan History House

Heywood Tavern, Skowhegan, ca. 1836

Contributed by Skowhegan History House
MMN Item 10765 Item Details
Heywood Tavern, Skowhegan, ca. 1836
MMN Item 10765 Zoom

Description

Heywood's Tavern in Skowhegan, located on part of a 48-acre tract, purchased in 1822 by Josiah Parlin.

A tavern was already in operation on Madison road not far from High Street, conducted by Dudley Heywood.

Josian Parlin probably built the inn about 1830 and Heywood likely was inn-keeper from the beginning.

Heywood's Tavern in its early years was the most commodious and attractive of the north-side public houses. Heywood's Hall was an important feature of the tavern and was used for social occasions and many kinds of meetings.

Heywood was succeeded as landlord before 1843 by H. A. Moore.

View additional information about this item on the Maine Memory Network.