In partnership with the Maine Memory Network Maine Memory Network

Skowhegan History House

South Side of River, Skowhegan, ca. 1870

Contributed by Skowhegan History House
MMN Item 9084 Item Details
South Side of River, Skowhegan, ca. 1870
MMN Item 9084 Zoom

Description

"This was probably taken about 1870. Note portion of R. E. Lyon Paper Mill at extreme left. After a somewhat variegated history this was again brought into use for the manufacture of paper about 1910, but was destroyed by fire about 1923 and the lot is at present vacant. At the left, in the distance, the spire of the First Baptist Church (later the Community House) may be seen. At the left also may be noted buildings which then stood on the present location of the Anderson Mills. The dam and nearly all of the structures in this picture have long since disappeared."

~Roland T. Patten,
Custodian of Historical Views, 1929

View additional information about this item on the Maine Memory Network.